Red Bull Media House (RBMH) (Austria, 2013-14)
What they said:
“Helen has been a real asset to redbull.com’s international core editing team across the board. She learned most of our editorial processes and systems in a day, and the content she has produced has been perfectly attuned to our style and voice.
“Helen is also not afraid to ask sometimes thorny questions when editing the work of others, which is extremely useful to everyone involved. She is as thorough, lateral-thinking and professional as any editorial manager could wish for.”
RBMH is a multi-platform media company with a focus on sports, culture and lifestyle.
Its many products include redbull.com, which offers stories, videos, imagery, games, social tools and audio streams covering sports, music, lifestyle and entertainment.
The RBMH team was looking for freelance web editors to work on the redbull.com homepage, to create, edit, upload and curate a range of content via a proprietary content management system (CMS).
I stopped writing for RBMH in 2014, when I went on maternity leave.
What I did:
- Learned the editorial processes and systems (including the CMS), as well as the style guidelines.
- Wrote original copy (from stories to event pages) in the redbull.com voice to specific briefs by senior editors, and published it.
- Ensured all metadata fields were appropriately completed for SEO and content strategy benefits.
- Also edited, uploaded and published content (featuring videos, images and text) created by others.
- Carried out picture research to choose suitable images, sometimes editing them.
- Curated content on the homepage day-to-day to keep it up to date and relevant.
- Member of the central editorial team charged with monitoring quality and consistency across redbull.com, liaising directly with writers and channel editors (located in different countries) as required.
- Occasionally used my Spanish and German language skills to source background information.
- Search ‘Helen Baker’ on www.redbull.com/en to see examples of articles I created.